Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Racism and religion, all in a day.

**WARNING! Highly sensitive blog post! If you are a devout christian, PLEASE do not read this !**

I never woke up today, expecting the day to be different than any other. It should have been the same as every other, honestly. But oh, how mistaken I was :)

As some of you know, I now work part time in a coffee shop. Dealing with customers is something i've been doing for several months, until I categorized customers based on their type :-

Type A : "I just want to chill" customers
Usually, this type are retirees and students. They came, order one awesome cappuccino ice blended or a hazelnut white coffee, maybe a sandwich or two, sit down on their computer or read a paper. They never worry much about anything else, just want some piece and quiet. I usually say a simple hi and let them do their own work. Type A is the easiest type of customer.

Type B : "I am here to eat" customer
Type B customers are there for a straight forward purpose. To eat, and leave. They have minimal comments, unless they waited half hour for their food and its still not there. They eat, pay, leave several cents of tips, and walk off. We see them again the next day. Pretty straight forward.

Type C: "I want my money's worth"
This are the "I will only pay for what is worth the money" customer. They are food critics. They eat, tell you what is nice, what is not, and how things could be improved. I honestly like customers like this. And if they think the food is really lousy, they will complain a lot. Fortunately, this doesn't happen much.

Type D : "Chris Ee" customers
While it is named after a good friend of mine, nice lad, but when it comes to the restaurant, he is horrible.Type D customers tend to make everything worst. If they do not get their food in 15 minutes, they start shouting and scolding people, making stupid comments like "If you cannot boil egg in 5 minutes what for open shop!? stupid!". They fail to realize when you boil ALOT of eggs, it takes longer. The most annoying type of customers. Generally disliked by everyone. ( i love you, if you by ANY chance read this! don't marah! lol )

I thought there was only 4 types of customers, but i was so wrong. The 5th type, "The Racist" customers, are the worst. I can patiently take many Chris Ee, but the racist comment i received today totally pissed me off. I was pretty impressed i could keep my cool and walk away.  I was told, "You are Indian, how can you work in hainanese shop?" Look, even blogger gave me a spelling error on hainanese! It doesn't give me one for Indian!!! Ok back to the topic :P Seriously, because i am an Indian, i cannot learn others culture? I cannot be a malaysian and work in a coffee shop? So what are Indians expected to do ? Collect garbage and build train tracks? Toreh getah? Typical Indian work, right ?

Yes, the comment might not be much, when you look at it from a chinese person point of view. So is the comment "balik negara asal lah." Yet, that comment stirred up so much issues. I suppose when you are the one receiving such an insult, directly, not jokingly, then you would get how bad it was.

The stupid bunch of 6 chinese men made my mood bad for a long time. Until somebody came and cheered me up. A pastor :) ! Now, how often do you get to talk to a Pastor, about you're own religion? Not Hinduism, obviously not. Vishulism, of course :P LMAO! yes, i enjoyed myself, surely. The conversation started like this

Pastor : Vishul, are you a Christian?
Me: No
Pastor : A Hindu then?
Me: No
Pastor : Freethinker then?
Me : erm...actually, Not really.

The Pastor went a bit confused then, before he asked me what am i? I swear to God (oops,god :P) that i SOOOOO nearly answered "Vishulism. Wanna learn more?"

The Pastor was trying to tell me that God died for me. That God, in the form of his son, (or something like that) died for me. And 3 days later, rose from his grave. Ok, this part did happened. I told him. "If he rose back alive, he didn't quite die didn't he?"

But somehow, the Pastor insisted that he died. The pastor probably thought i had no idea about Christianity at all, so he was spending some time telling me about the Holy Cross, and Jesus Christ.

As i was working, I wanted to end the conversation quickly. I told the pastor, that I too, talk to God everyday.  I do not believe in religion for each has a different story for God. I believe if there is God, there is only one, and whoever that is, I pray to him.

Then, the priest asked me, am i praying the right way? I asked him back, " you mean, there is such a thing called, praying the WRONG way? " He then quoted something from the bible, about "Through me, you reach God" or something like that, the one Jesus said ( you guys look it up! ) According to the Bible, it indicates that God said only those who go through Jesus and prays using the method set and fixed by the Bible gets to go to heaven. I then told him, that if that is true, God isn't so great, because he doesn't just want us to be good, he also wants us to worship him, following a certain standard method/formula/style that has been fixed. erm, actually er, Bro (upper case, i'm so nice), isn't that a bit vain ? Come on, you're like, the All-Awesome, and you want people to worship you :S ? A bit, contradicting, ain't it ????

I then told the Pastor, that God would understand us, no matter in what language we pray. Will he still insist that it has to be Jesus, i asked him, "What about those who call his Yeshua? or Hesus? Still his name, in different language, no? So to me, if God's name is Jesus, so i pray to God. Thinking like an Engineer :-

God = Jesus
Pray to God = Pray to Jesus

And yes, i told the Pastor the equation. LOL! And i asked him back, "Would God be so merciless, to punish us for not using the name, Jesus?" He actually smiled, and quoted another line from the Bible. ( I hope its the bible, i have no idea, if its something bad, i'm fucked :S ) . The Pastor said he saw God. Yeah, i too met Ironman. Fought with him as well. Wasn't easy, i know.

Dreams can do wonders.

He did leave, shaked my hand, and left saying he'll pray for me. I told him, yes, please do. And somehow, that entire incident just made my day :) I was happy :) !

Obviously, the Pastor wanted me to be a Christian. Not sure how it is in other countries, but in here, they go house to house spreading Christianity. I once went to a church (don't ask me why i went, then again, the girl was uber hot, wasn't wasted ! Too bad i'd not see her again. lol ). The church i went too, the Reverend/Priest/Pastor from international school of some priest something, (You can tell from just this, how distracting that girl was), said this exact line in one of his talks...or mass, you guys call it ? I could be wrong on the word, but this line, was exact.

"If you are a Christian, you should be fishing. If not, something is fishy about you."
It is good to spread religion, but everyone has their own rights, believes, and faith. While it is wrong to "fish" those from other religion, it is not wrong to try to get those with no faith towards God, to believe in Him. That, they are doing a good job. I hope they do keep it up then.

Yeah, i told the Pastor, I talk to God everyday. I just missed out the part, for making my life so miserable,  i hate Him :P

13 comments:

  1. *now* you're back :p lets just make a 'Vishulism', you might get the first penganut, me xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you =D

    oh, vishulism is real. just not widely spread yet :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny story. btw its common for christians to spread their words from house to house, those are call evangelists. and they are doing it with good intention of saving you.

    i once had interesting conversation from someoone in a bus who told me God picked me cause i'm special. She even took my email address :) but i gave her a fake one. w00t

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO!!!!
    And God didn't pick out a few others because they weren't special?

    somehow, this post has got many people angered. Then again, i insist it is NOT my fault. I clearly wrote there, Christians please do not read this. They never listen.

    Not my fault :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vish, that was one crazy blog - love the free spirited, open, honest approach. Both thought provoking and funny.

    Spot on about the racism - you should be what you want to be not what someone who looks doesn't even know you but looks down at you because of the colour of your skin.

    keep up the diatribe my friend

    Will I Am

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH :O! william dropped by my blog :O!!!
    how honored ! lol !

    I have to be careful tho, have to read my blog with a sense of humour, while accepting the fact. Else, it would just be horrible. lol.

    Racism will forever be bad. We just have to be who we are, and not what people perceive our race to be :)

    Cheers, will see you in UK soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to church once too! But not for praying or anything. There were some great artwork (frescoes) in it. Oh and I go to temple at least twice a year :D And the evangelists thing is here too! Several ppl died in vain because of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shall honour your courage with a "F U, racist" award. Cherish it, there's only one of its kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im a Christian. I read this blog. And honestly, Im NOT offended one bit. To me this is just your opinion and u have a right to that. There is no point in getting offended cause its not gonna change your believes anyways.

    And just FYI, there are those christians who are just there to help people and show people love. You would be surprised with the amount of people lacking them nowadays. It is not just about 'fishing'. In fact its never about fishing to me. I have invited friends over to church. I invited some of my friends cause there were pretty girls in my church. Like I said it about loving others to me. And yes you do not have to be a christian to do it. But at least Im looking at myself in the mirror before judging others. How about the others on this thread?

    It is only a small amount that go to a person and talk to them about it. And Im not saying its wrong to do it. Yes a person has a right to believe in whatever you wanna believe in, but all he did was tell u his point of view just like how you are telling your point of view. But the difference is he didn't make fun of you or anything unlike how some people are doing with their comments towards the religion.

    Btw, this is MY opinion. Don't like it? Jog on then! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish there is a reply option, but there isnt. LOL.

    I do not think any religion is wrong, nor do i think that spreading love is something bad. In fact, i agree that love should be spread. Going to church isn't a bad thing, it strengthens bonds between friends and family even.

    Everyone has their own point of views. And no, i was not making fun of the pastor. I had a good discussion with him about what he believes in, and what i believe in. In fact, the Pastor is now a friend of mine. I like him.

    Fishing, I did not point that out. I quoted, from what was said in a church. I would have did Harvard referencing, but i couldn't. LOL.

    I am glad Sir anonymous for the comment. Thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The making fun of him part wasn't directed to u but to someone who commented on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That guy had no right to say such a thing to you. Everyone of any race should be able to work in any kind of shop. =)

    Evangelists. Had 1 or 2 approach me before. I have nothing against Christianism, just that I don't believe in it. If their intention is to spread the love, then there's nothing wrong to it. But I wish they wouldn't be so persistent as it gets on my nerve sometimes when I already said no and they keep pushing.

    Btw, you're coming to UK?

    ReplyDelete